Tips for filing amended returns


When should you amend your Form 1040 return?

You should amend it if you need to correct your filing status, the number of dependents you claimed or your total income. By amending, you can also change the amount of tax deductions or credits if you missed those items on the original return.

You can correct a Form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040NR or 1040NR EZ by filing an amended return.

An amended return isn’t necessary if you made a math error or left off a schedule. The IRS will correct your math error and then send you a letter outlining what it did. You may submit missing schedules to the IRS without having to amend the entire 1040 return.

Use Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax, when amending your return, and mail it to the IRS. Unfortunately, this form cannot be e-filed.

If you are amending more than one year’s worth of 1040 returns, be sure to file a separate Form 1040X for each year being amended. Various other tax forms and supporting schedules must be submitted along with the Form 1040X.

Failure to supply the other appropriate tax forms and schedules will delay the processing of the amended return.

To claim a previously unclaimed refund, file Form 1040X no more than three years from the date you filed your original tax return. You can go back only three years to amend your 1040 return because of the statute of limitations.