Lathrop leads the firm’s Transaction Services and Business Development groups at Maxwell Locke & Ritter. Since the inception of the ML&R Transaction Services group in 2010, ML&R has worked with dozens of private equity sponsors and corporate acquirers on transactions ranging from $5 to $300 million. He joined Maxwell Locke & Ritter in 2010 after spending 7 years with Focus Strategies Investment Banking, where he provided corporate finance, valuation, and M&A advisory and consulting services for middle market companies, while also assisting with private placements of both debt and equity.
Prior to Focus Strategies, Smith worked in management for a family owned regional engineering and distribution company which was sold to the Kaman Corporation (KAMN), and for Emerson Electric Corporation (EMR) in the Industrial Automation Group in Chicago.
Lathrop is a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), which is a professional credential awarded by the CFA Institute, a global association of investment professionals. The CFA curriculum focuses on economic, financial and quantitative analysis; valuation of equities, bonds and derivatives; alternative investments, portfolio management, and ethical standards of professional conduct. CFA Charterholders must pass three six-hour examinations over the course of three years, have four years of work experience in a direct investment decision-making role and an undergraduate degree from an accredited university.
- Mergers &Acquisitions Due Diligence
- Quality of Earnings Analysis
- Succession Planning for Business Owners
- Vanderbilt University - Bachelor of Science in Engineering Science
- The University of Texas at Austin - Master of Business Administration
- Austin Community Foundation, Finance Committee
- MyMusicRx, Advisory Board Member
- I Live Here. I Give Here., Treasurer and Board member (2013-2016)
- KIPP Austin Public Schools, Board Member (2004-2011)
- Leadership Austin
- Registered Investment Advisor of ML&R Wealth Management
- Past President for the Association of Corporate Growth, Central Texas Chapter